Know Your Rights
A variety of resources outlining tenant rights and responsibilities are available below:
- Community Legal Education Ontario produces material for the general public about a variety of legal issues. Their website has a section on Housing Law.
- Settlement.org posts a variety of information on settlement issues including a section on housing called Tenant Rights and Responsibilities. This includes articles and brochures from a variety of organizations and is not just for newcomers.
- The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) has prepared a number of ‘Tip Sheets’ to help tenants understand their rights in specific situations. They cover everything from maintenance issues to payment plans for back rent.
Do you have a question about your tenancy?
- Tenant Hotline - 416-921-9494
Run by the Federation of Metro Tenants Associations (if you are unable to speak English, an interpreter can be provided)
- Landlord & Tenant Board - 416-465-5000
Run by the Government of Ontario
- Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA) – 416-944-0087
Do you need legal advice?
- See our legal advice page to find the nearest community legal clinic