Subsidized Housing


Subsidized housing is housing where the amount of rent paid is a percentage of the tenants’ income, not the value of the unit. This is called Rent Geared-to-Income (RGI), meaning that tenants pay 30% of their income towards rent. For example, if the family’s total monthly income is $2000 – they will pay $600 rent for a unit.  The remaining amount of the rent is subsidized by the Province of Ontario through the City of Toronto to a number of housing providers who manage the properties.

The largest organization of subsidized housing is the Toronto Community Housing Corporation with over 164,000 tenants.   There is a long waiting list for RGI housing in Toronto.  RGI units are located in many different types of non-profit housing.  To apply, go to Housing Connections.  If you need assistance, click here to contact us to make an appointment.



You must meet these five conditions to apply:

1.  At least one member of the household is 16 years old or older and is able to live independently;

2.  Each member of the household meets at least one of the following criteria:

  • The member is a Canadian citizen,
  • The member has made an application for status as a permanent resident under the Immigration
  • and Refugee Protection Act (Canada), or
  • The member has made a claim for refugee protection under the Immigration and Refugee
  • Protection Act (Canada);

3.  No removal order has become enforceable under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) against any member of the household;

4.  No member of the household may owe money to another social housing provider in Ontario;

5.  No household member or former household member may have convictions for rent-geared-to-income fraud or misrepresentation.

If you do not meet the requirements above, Housing Connections will not accept your application.  For more information see the Housing Connections website.

For assistance with your application, make an appointment with East York Housing Help Centre.

For information about other forms of Social Housing visit our Alternative Housing Page.


The East York Housing Help Centre mainly serves the area within East York (bordered by the Don River to the North-West, Victoria Park to the East and the Danforth to the South). Click this map to view our catchment area, or to find another housing help centre closer to you.